Christmas EveryDay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas EveryDay

All Christmas and Holiday Cooking and Decorating, Stories and History

HomeHome  GENERALGENERAL  SearchSearch  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Language of Flowers F

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4171
Registration date : 2008-10-24

The Language of Flowers F Empty
PostSubject: The Language of Flowers F   The Language of Flowers F EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 2:29 am

Fennel .............................Worthy all praise. Strength

Fern................................. Fascination

Ficoides, Ice plant........... Your looks freeze me

Fig.................................... Arguement

Fig Marigold..................... Idleness

Fig Tree............................ Prolific

Filbert............................... Recondiliation

Fir..................................... Time

Fir Tree............................. Elevation

Flax ..................................Domestic Industry. Fate. I feel your kindness

Flax-leaved Goldy-locks...Tardiness

Fleur-de-lis....................... Flame. I burn.

Fleur-de-luce.....................Fire

Flowering Fern................. Reverie

Flowering Reed ................Confidence in Heaven

Flower-of-an-Hour........... Delicate Beauty

Fly Orchis......................... Error

Flytrap............................... Deceit

Fool's Parsley.....................Silliness

Forget Me Not.................. True love. Forget me not

(The flower is associated with loving remembrance and true love. Once upon a time a knight in armor was walking along the bank of a river with his lady. She saw some flowers growing at the edge of the water and asked him to pick them for her. As the knight stretched out his hand for them, he slipped and fell into the river. Wearing heavy armor, he was unable to swim and was carried away down stream but not before he had thrown the flowers onto the bank for her. Forget-me-not! he cried as he drifted away. The maiden never forgot him and called the flower Forget-me-not in his memory

The Forget-me-not gets its botanical name Myosotis Scorpioides from the idea that the leaves resemble the ears of mice. All the plants of this family are known as Scorpion Grass because their clusters of flowers curl upwards like the tail of a scorpion.)

Foxglove.............................Insincerity

(Foxgloves are thought of as the fairies flower and their name is a corruption of Folk's-glove. They obviously provided more than gloves for the little folk for they are also known as Fairies-petticoats, Fairy-caps and Fairies-dresss. Nor was this association confined to their clothing, for other names include Fairy-thimbles and Fairy-bells. If you see a foxglove bending over, it is because the fairies are hiding in the bells.

Their genus name. Digitalis, means a finger-length and children have always delighted in poking their fingers into the speckled purple blooms

But there is a darker side to the Foxglove which explains its meanings. While for centuries it has been widely used as a herbal cure, excessive doses are poisonous. In Scotland they are called Bloody Fingers and Dead Men's Bells and to hear them ring forebodes an early death.)

Foxtail Grass.......................Sporting

French Honeysuckle...........Rustic Beauty

French Marigold..................Jealousy

French Willow.....................Bravery and humanity

Frog Ophys..........................Disgust

Fuller's Teasel......................Misanthropy

Fumitory..............................Spleen

Fuchsia, Scarlet ..................Taste
Back to top Go down
https://christmaseveryday.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1