Christmas EveryDay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas EveryDay

All Christmas and Holiday Cooking and Decorating, Stories and History

HomeHome  GENERALGENERAL  SearchSearch  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Saints Celebrated on this Day Jan 28

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4171
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Saints Celebrated on this Day Jan 28 Empty
PostSubject: Saints Celebrated on this Day Jan 28   Saints Celebrated on this Day Jan 28 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 11:14 pm

Saints Celebrated on this Day

St. Antilnus
Bl. Amadeus of Lausanne
St. Valerius
St. Thyrsus, Leucius, and Call
St. Thomas Aquinas
St. Cannera
St. Flavian
St. Glastian
St. James the Hermit
St. Jerome Lu, Blessed
St. John of Reomay
St. Julian of Cuenca
Bl.Lawrence want
Bl. Roger of Todi
St. Richard of Vaucelles
St. Odo of Beauvais
St. Palladius
St. Paulinus of Aquileia
St. Peter Nolasco
Back to top Go down
https://christmaseveryday.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4171
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Saints Celebrated on this Day Jan 28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saints Celebrated on this Day Jan 28   Saints Celebrated on this Day Jan 28 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 11:15 pm

January 28, 2006
St. Thomas Aquinas
(1225-1274)

By universal consent Thomas Aquinas is the preeminent spokesman of the Catholic tradition of reason and of divine revelation. He is one of the great teachers of the medieval Catholic Church, honored with the titles Doctor of the Church and Angelic Doctor...

By universal consent Thomas Aquinas is the preeminent spokesman of the Catholic tradition of reason and of divine revelation. He is one of the great teachers of the medieval Catholic Church, honored with the titles Doctor of the Church and Angelic Doctor.

At five he was given to the Benedictine monastery at Monte Cassino in his parents’ hopes that he would choose that way of life and later become abbot. In 1239 he was sent to Naples to complete his studies. It was here that he was first attracted to Aristotle’s philosophy.
By 1243, Thomas abandoned his family’s plans for him and joined the Dominicans, much to his mother’s dismay. On her order, Thomas was captured by his brother and kept at home for over a year.
Once free, he went to Paris and then to Cologne, where he finished his studies with Albert the Great. He held two professorships at Paris, lived at the court of Pope Urban IV, directed the Dominican schools at Rome and Viterbo, combated adversaries of the mendicants, as well as the Averroists, and argued with some Franciscans about Aristotelianism.
His greatest contribution to the Catholic Church is his writings. The unity, harmony and continuity of faith and reason, of revealed and natural human knowledge, pervades his writings. One might expect Thomas, as a man of the gospel, to be an ardent defender of revealed truth. But he was broad enough, deep enough, to see the whole natural order as coming from God the Creator, and to see reason as a divine gift to be highly cherished.
The Summa Theologiae, his last and, unfortunately, uncompleted work, deals with the whole of Catholic theology. He stopped work on it after celebrating Mass on December 6, 1273. When asked why he stopped writing, he replied, “I cannot go on.... All that I have written seems to me like so much straw compared to what I have seen and what has been revealed to me.” He died March 7, 1274.

“Hence we must say that for the knowledge of any truth whatsoever man needs divine help, that the intellect may be moved by God to its act. But he does not need a new light added to his natural light, in order to know the truth in all things, but only in some that surpasses his natural knowledge” (Summa Theologiae, I-II, 109, 1).

Saint of the Day content provided by AmericanCatholic.org
Love & Prayers,Saints Celebrated on this Day Jan 28 Emlove

AngelBear7042Saints Celebrated on this Day Jan 28 Emhug
Back to top Go down
https://christmaseveryday.forumotion.com

Saints Celebrated on this Day Jan 28
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christmas EveryDay :: Its Christmas Everyday Announcements :: Special & Food Calendars :: Our Forum Calendar-
Jump to: