Christmas EveryDay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas EveryDay

All Christmas and Holiday Cooking and Decorating, Stories and History

HomeHome  GENERALGENERAL  SearchSearch  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Language of Flowers D

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4171
Registration date : 2008-10-24

The Language of Flowers D Empty
PostSubject: The Language of Flowers D   The Language of Flowers D EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 2:30 am

The Language of Flowers D

Daffodil ..............................Regard. Chivalry

( Wordsworth's famous lines have immortalised the Daffodil and there is hardly a poet in our language who has not written of it

It is said tha the name Daffodil probably comes from Affodyle, an old English word menaing early-comer. In Shakespeares day it had many nicknames such as daff-a-down-dilly and daffodilly and it is also known as the Lent lily. Some regard it as unlucky to have them in the house for they hang their heads and bring tears and unhappiness. This may have come from the Story of Proserpina, told by Perdita in 'The Winter's Tale' who was captured while picking lilies and carried off by Pluto, the Greek god. In her fear Proserpina dropped the lilies and they turned into daffodils as they touched the ground.
I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering the dancing in the breeze,
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
they stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay
Ten thousand saw I at a glance
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
William Wordsworth 1770-1850

Dahlia ..................................Instability

Daisy ...................................Innocence

Daisy, Garden .....................I share your sentiments

Daisy Michaelmas ...............Farewell

Daisy, Party-colored ...........Beauty

Daisy, Wild .........................I will think of it

(The Daisy is the childrens flower. They love to gather it for posies and for making daisy chains. It is also known as Baby's pet or Bairn-wort meaning child-flower. If a little girl picks a bunch of daisies with her eyes shut, the number of flowers in the posy will be a number of years before she marries. Young girls have always told their fortunes by pulling the petals off to the refrain: He loves me, he loves me not.

It is quite true to its name, for in the morning it opens with the light of day and when the sun goes down it folds up its white petals again as if it were going to sleep. Daisy means the days eye, or the eye of the day.)

Damask Rose ......................Brilliant Complexion

Dandelion Rustic ................Oracle

(The meaning of the Dandelion is probably the one most of us learned first, for all children love to blow the seeds from the dandelion seedhead to tell the time.

They are known as blow-balls, and Noon-head-clocks as a result and also Monk's head and Priest's Crown, for the part of the plant that remains when all the fluffy seeds have blown away resembles the shaven head of a priest.

The name is from the French, 'dent-de-lion' because the jagged edges of the leaves are like the teeth of a wild animal.

There are many superstitions about the Dandelion. A wish should come true if all the seeds are blown off in one breath. if some remain it indicates how many children you will have. Lovers use dandelion seeds to send messages to one another. for as well as divining the future, the Dandelion means Faithfulness. As children we use to hold the Dandelion under your chin in the sunshine and your chin would like it was yellow and we say thats because you like Butter.)

Daphne Odora ....................Painting the lily

Darnel (Ray grass) .............Vice

Dead Leaves ......................Sadness

Dew Plant ..........................A serenade

Dittany of Crete ................Birth

Dittany of Crete, White ....Passion

Dock .................................Patience

Dodder of Thyme .............Baseness

Dogsbane ..........................Deceit. Falsehood

Dogwood ..........................Durability

Dragon Plant .....................Snare

Dragonwort ......................Horror