Christmas EveryDay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas EveryDay

All Christmas and Holiday Cooking and Decorating, Stories and History

HomeHome  GENERALGENERAL  SearchSearch  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Leafy Weeds You Can Eat-Purslane

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4171
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Leafy Weeds You Can Eat-Purslane Empty
PostSubject: Leafy Weeds You Can Eat-Purslane   Leafy Weeds You Can Eat-Purslane EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 2:50 am

Leafy Weeds You can Eat-Purslane

Purslane

(Portulaca oleracea)

There's another garden weed that is great to eat. Purslane is a sprawling garden weed with smooth heavy stems that are red or pinkish. The leaves are paddle shaped and wider at the tips than the stem. They are fat and succulent

Rinse the plant, then strip off the leaves and add them to salads. They are very good

And they are just about the best wild green you can cook up

Chop up a rinsed plant into coarse pieces, then stirfry it in a pan that bacon has been cooked in. It requires little grease, so I pour off all but what clings to the pan. Then I add the purslane and some finely diced onions and fresh peppers. If you have them.

When they are sauteed, I pour on some beaten egg and scramble the whole works together. it makes an excellent meal, whether breakfast or any other time. Careful not to weed all the purslane out of the garden.

Seed catalogs are now selling a domesticated variety of wild purslane that has even larger, fatter leaves, how about that for a weed?

One caution though. Like lamb's quarters, puslane contains oxalic acid and should not be eaten in huge amounts or as a regular basis for a diet.

Used with reason though, it is a safe and tasty wild vegetable
Back to top Go down
https://christmaseveryday.forumotion.com

Leafy Weeds You Can Eat-Purslane
Page 1 of 1