Christmas EveryDay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas EveryDay

All Christmas and Holiday Cooking and Decorating, Stories and History

HomeHome  GENERALGENERAL  SearchSearch  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Spinach Bread

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4171
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Spinach Bread Empty
PostSubject: Spinach Bread   Spinach Bread EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 2:25 am

Spinach bread

This mutant grew out of a late-blooming passion for spinach, coupled with a deep weakness for inappropriately colored foods. I’d always gotten a kick out of spinach pasta, so I set out to see if the same effect could be replicated in a loaf of bread. Spinach didn’t seem compatible with anything exotic like rye or sourdough, so I guiltily disinterred the bland, plebeian old white bread white bread recipe from my bread machine instruction manual (an Oster) and corrupted it into something with the tang and color of the divine leaf and the indulgent, satiny texture of Won--r Bread.

1-pound loaf recipe
1/2 cup water
1 cup boiled or steamed spinach *
3 T water
1.5 c. bread flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour **
2 tsp. softened butter ***
1 T sugar
2 tsp. dry non-fat milk solids
1 tsp. salt
1.25 tsp. yeast

1) Combine the spinach (along with a minimal amount of the cooking liquid if you have it) with 1/2 cup water. Combine stirring and tearing with your favorite pointed kitchen implements until the spinach is fairly well shredded and the water is thoroughly green. This will produce a tacky texture and a marbled inner appearance. If you prefer a crumb that just _screams_ green, you can use a food processor and puree into a shake instead.
2) Combine the remaining ingredients in the bread pan as mandated by the manual gods, and set to bake on “white.” (No, I don’t think you’re so stupid I have to include this step - there’s more to come.)
3) Check in on the dough after about five minutes. Chances are it won’t have the proper consistency, due to the completely unpredictable moisture contribution of the spinach. It’s all right if it’s a bit liquidy, but the ball should be entirely cohesive, take on a smooth coat, and gradually become less sticky. Add water or flour as necessary. When you’re satisfied, close the lid and leave the machine to its work.
NOTES:
I just used some thawed frozen spinach, which is about as soggy as you can get.
**The original recipe used 2 cups of white flour, and I suspect you can do the same.
***So it’s not a fat-free recipe! Don’t let two lousy teaspoons frighten you off.
Back to top Go down
https://christmaseveryday.forumotion.com

Spinach Bread
Page 1 of 1