Christmas EveryDay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas EveryDay

All Christmas and Holiday Cooking and Decorating, Stories and History

HomeHome  GENERALGENERAL  SearchSearch  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Scottish Loaf

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4171
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Scottish Loaf Empty
PostSubject: Scottish Loaf   Scottish Loaf EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 2:24 am

SCOTTISH LOAF

SCOTTISH LOAF
I found this in a very old bread recipe book by John Downes, I’m sure he must have pinched the recipe from somewhere
There are three steps to this loaf; you will need a large gathering to scoff it too.

To start:
(a)
500 gm unbleached white flour
250 gm whole meal wheat flour
5 gm salt
5 gm compressed yeast
2½ cups water

Note: - you can use dried yeast, but halve the quantity, and treat normally.
Mix the flours and salt in a large bowl. Cream the yeast (see note) in a little of the water. Add this to the flour with the rest of the water and mix well. This is soft or sticky dough. Flour hands and knead briefly for a good mix. Allow to stand, covered, for 12 hours. It should be very active by that time.
Then:
(b)

500 gm unbleached white flour
500 gm whole meal wheat flour
15 gm salt
2 tsp liquid malt extract or pure malt powder
5 cups water

Mix the flours and salt. Dissolve the malt extract or pure powder in a little water. Add to dough (a) with the 5 cups of water. This makes a mass which is difficult to manage (comes as no surprise, I’m sure. N.B.) Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon, and, when your strength gives out, plunge oiled hands into the bowl and mix until elastic gluten strands are evident. It is easier to remove dough from oiled hands! Cover and allow to rise for 2 to 3 hours or until strongly active.
Finally
(c)
1 kg unbleached white flour
25 gm salt
3 tblspn olive oil
¾ cup water

You will notice that there is no sugar - how will you resist adding some!!
Mix the flour and salt and add to dough (b) with the olive oil and water. It requires a thorough kneading (and the arms of a wrestler) to form smooth dough. Add more water or flour if necessary. Cover and allow to rise for 1 hour. Divide into 6 or 7 loaves. Place in oiled tins, half filling each tin. When the dough reaches the top of the tins, or at least doubles in bulk, bake at 220°C (425°F) for 40 to 45 min.
If your oven doesn’t house so many loaves, divide off half of the dough before the final rising. Cover it or place it in a plastic bag and bung it in the ‘fridge. When the risen half goes in the oven, tin the refrigerated half and it should be risen by the time the first three have come out of the oven.
Now you know why I took so long to post this recipe. I am not the world champion typist.
Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
https://christmaseveryday.forumotion.com

Scottish Loaf
Page 1 of 1